This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using any of these links.

Fat Quarter Shop's Notion of the Month Sale

Hello, all:

My name is Maureen, and I've never sewed a stitch in my life, but I'm ready to learn! In a few months (I'm saving up right now), I'm going to buy a machine, but I don't have a clue where to begin. My inspiration is home decor: pillows, blankets, and quilts (is quilting the same as sewing?!). I'd also like to be able to hem pants and skirts. My budget is tight, around $600. Of course I'll visit some local dealers, but I'm wary of getting caught in a sales pitch. So I was hoping that Sew-What's-New, seeming like a very positive/helpful community, could shed some light on my search. For example, which functions should be on a "must have" list, and which functions should a novice avoid? Any, ANY information or resource suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated! Thanks, y'all!

Views: 42

Reply to This

Replies to This Post

Hi, my name is Jane and I just joined this site. Although I have sewn a few dresses, I'm kind of beginner too because I recently decided to make clothing for infant and have no experiences with that. When I bought my first sewing machine I did not have much money so I went for a Kenmore sewing machine with only 12 different stitches. It has worked without any problems at all and still working nice. Of course I have taken good care of it, but this is the same machine I'm sewing now. Now, recently I bought a Brother serger to add a professional look to my garments. In my opinion the most important thing is to buy a sewing machine with extended guarantee and/or service agreement. Nowadays, machines come with just the basic feet, so we have to buy the additional feet separately. If you like to reply me, I can suggest a list of the "must have" things you should have to start.
I think I would start off with a basic model, a Brother, like they have at WalMart. I had one for over 10 years and recently handed it down to my daughter when I bought a new one.
Nothing fancy, but a good machine to learn on.
Julie is absolutely right. My first machine was a Brother that I bought in 1994 and is still in working condition. I gave it to my daughter when I bought my Pfaff. Brother is a great quality machine for a very reasonable price.
thanks for this post.. i was wondering the same thing... how much should i spend on a machine? i have little room here, so i need a small on that i can do many things on.. any suggestions?? thanks!!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service