Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

My bobbin case is the original one in my Pfaff expression machine. I tried using heavy duty thread to sew some slip covers, and I'm when start stitching, the machine makes this terrible noise and it stops stitching immediately.

I'm thinking I should just buy a new bobbin case to use just for heavy duty sewing. That way I can adjust the bobbin for that type of sewing.

Am I correct?

Thanks for any advice you can give me. By the way, I just joined SWN.com so I'm looking forward to many enjoyable discussions

Marilyn

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Post

Hi Marilyn,
I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but did you adjust your bobbin tension?
I have a Pfaff 1222E. In looking at my instruction book, it says to use the same thread in the bobbin and needle. Although I have read that isn't necessarily so.
This link may help you:
http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/blsuperior.htm
You should easily be able to adjust your bobbin tension to accomodate the thicker thread. Also, are you using the proper needle size. Perhaps a size 90 is what you need? let me know how it goes! Goodluck! Cindy
Cindy, thanks for the reply. Adjusting the bobbin thread is what I was afraid to do, because I have heard and read somewhere that once you start adjusting the bobbin tension, that you will never be able to get it back to its original state. Anyway, I think I'll bite the bullet and just purchase another bobbin case where I can adjust it to my hearts content, and save it just for slip covers etc.

I do use a 90/16 needle. Thanks much.

Marilyn
I have a Janome 6500. When I learned to do free-motion quilting I was told not to adjust my bobbin tension exactly for the reason you said. If you do adjustments it may be difficult to get it back to the normal tension to do regular sewing. I was told to buy another bobbin case instead and use that one to do any adjustments for free-motion embroidery with thicker threads, etc. Here is a tip...if you do buy another bobbin case, make sure you mark it (e.g. with coloured nail polish) so that you know which one to play with the tension...otherwise you may get mixed up and screw up the original case.
Thanks, Judee. I thought that this is what I would have to do. Guess I'll call the Pfaff dealer so I can get started.
thanks.

I really like this site.

Marilyn

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service