Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

I'm not new to sewing but I am new to sewing purses/bags.  My first attempt was with a pattern for a sew-a-long and the pattern called for an interlining.  I am wondering if when sewing bags do you always include an interlining?  Is it really necessary?

Thanks!

Views: 559

Replies to This Post

Erica, you need to watch the video blog INTERFACING AND INTERLINING - meet Annie of ByAnnie Soft & Stable.  Annie is a member of SWN and has replied to this post.

http://sew-whats-new.com/group/sewing-purses-totes-handbags-free-pd...

Karen

I use the "By Annie" purse stablizer, and it's so great that you don't need to add any interlining.  Just the lining.  I LOVE it, and so do the ladies I know that use it.  Awesome stufff. 

I just ordered some,  I can hardly wait to get it.

I make a lot of bags and purses.  I watched the video, and I am very impressed.  I have used headliner for cars and I really like the way the finished product turned out.  I know the soft and stable will be easier to work with.

I used to use headliner, too, but love the Soft and Stable because it is a denser foam and it has fabric on both sides of the foam.  This makes it MUCH easier to work with.  It's not stretchy, so when you quilt a big piece it is still flat when you are done. Having fabric on both sides of the foam lets you sew with the Soft and Stable as the base layer, too.  Let me know what you think when you get your Soft and Stable and have a chance to try it.  Happy stitching!  Annie

Janet:  Thanks for your sweet words about ByAnnie's Soft and Stable.  It's true -- you don't have to use anything else.  Just a single layer of Soft and Stable on the outer bag OR the lining is enough to give your purse great body and stability.  You can quilt through it or just catch it in the outer seams.  It IS awesome stuff!

I have learned it depends on both the style of the bag and the fabric you choose.

I believe you probably have to use an interlining on most bags, as most of the fabric we use must have some kind of a stabilizer. Most of the fabrics aren't tough enough, unless of course it's like a jean fabric. This is just my thought. I've done a few purses, and this is just what I have found. Maybe there are other fabrics that might work like duck, but then it helps to give a finish in the interior, and give the interior some stabilizing too. How about others thoughts?

I've been using military uniform fabric for the outside and basic cotton for the interior... I use the fusible extra stiff stuff on the body of the purse and the fusible fleece on the flap.  I had not been using any interfacing on the lining fabric...

Hi Ags 

Reasons to use interfacing (normally fusible) or interlining (normally sew-in);-

1.  You can use fabric for a bag that is really not suitable i.e. patchwork cottons with lovely patterns that are lightweight 

2.  You protect your bag by making it more durable - bit of a shame it it doesn't stand up to use

3.  You can use a product to get the effect you want - rigid and boxy, soft and draped, plush and padded

4   You can use it to reinforce magnetic catches so they blend in and wear well

5   You can use it to pad out handles for comfort, or pad the inside the protect the contents

That's just off the top of my head.  Hope to do a post on a new product soon!

Wow!  I'm so glad I asked this question!  Great tips and advice from so many of you!  :)  This helps me a lot.   

Interlinings in a purse/bag helps give great stability and over all life to the end product. Even quilted purses need a little lift unless your are working towards the relaxed look.

I use ByAnnie's Soft and Stable in all my bags and purses to give them great body and stability.  I developed this product because I wanted a purse that would hold its shape and not be sloppy and floppy.  You can read more about it and see videos showing how to use it at my website:  http://www.byannie.com/tutorials/  Happy stitching!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service