Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

Sorta like a game show, only without the TV cameras, annoying hosts, pretty people...or prizes.

OK here's the term:


Now you guess what it is.
No Googling!

I just found this term today. Call me sheltered, but I was clueless. I was online, reading along, came across it & I thought -- "what on earth?" How do you even pronounce "armscyes"? My suspicion: a man came up with the term... *wink*

OK so you guys are smarter than me. Look at all those responses from people who already knew what amrscyes was! Mercy...I still think the name should be changed to something like, maybe "armhole" to remove all doubt. Maybe it's a french term. Either way, it's one of those things that made me go "hmmm" Thanks for playing along ladies!

Views: 115


You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Clo on January 26, 2010 at 9:51am
I had never ever met this word... but what I can tell you is that it's definitely not French. Apparently it would come Scotland and/or Northern Ireland. Some gaelic origin then... Anyway, it's great to learn new things!
Comment by sue in ne on January 22, 2010 at 7:53pm
it si the shape of the Arm h***
Comment by Derenda on January 22, 2010 at 4:11pm
It's an armhole.
Comment by Kathleen on January 22, 2010 at 1:22pm
Armscye is the same word used in German, English and Italian (an other European countries). It always "means" the same thing in all these languages.
Comment by Linda Alsbury on January 22, 2010 at 3:59am
I had to look it up a while ago because it kept coming up on a pattern making website and I had no clue what it was. It is the armhole opening in a garment.
Comment by Gail Grange on January 22, 2010 at 2:39am
something to do with an armhole, It's a term that i won't be using. xxx
Comment by Nancy Wright on January 21, 2010 at 10:14pm
No, not true! Armscyes are the armholes in the side of a bodice-type garment. Plain and simple! Try pronouncing it this way: arms-eyes. There you go! I happened to know this, as I'm degreed in Clothing & Textiles and this term was presented to us constantly in my clothing design, tailoring and construction work.
Have a lovely weekend ahead!
Nancy in North Texas
Comment by Sharon Stearns on January 21, 2010 at 9:09pm
my guess is armhole?
Comment by Jean M. on January 21, 2010 at 9:05pm
It is the h*** formed between the front and back where the sleeve goes. Don't know how to pronounce it tho!
Comment by Priscilla King on January 21, 2010 at 9:00pm
It it eye of the arm - arm's eye! :)

© 2022   Created by Susan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service