Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

Sorta like a game show, only without the TV cameras, annoying hosts, pretty people...or prizes.

OK here's the term:


Now you guess what it is.
No Googling!

I just found this term today. Call me sheltered, but I was clueless. I was online, reading along, came across it & I thought -- "what on earth?" How do you even pronounce "armscyes"? My suspicion: a man came up with the term... *wink*

OK so you guys are smarter than me. Look at all those responses from people who already knew what amrscyes was! Mercy...I still think the name should be changed to something like, maybe "armhole" to remove all doubt. Maybe it's a french term. Either way, it's one of those things that made me go "hmmm" Thanks for playing along ladies!

Views: 114


You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Angela Keller on January 21, 2010 at 8:46pm
Interesting! I didn't know. Thank you
Comment by Linda Stokes on January 21, 2010 at 8:42pm
It's the area where the sleeve is put in the bodice. Yea, something I knew!
Comment by Mary C on January 21, 2010 at 8:13pm
Well, I just learned something new today, lol
Comment by Roseana Auten on January 21, 2010 at 8:05pm
It's the portion of the bodice where the sleeve cap is inserted and sometimes also spelled "armseye," but I think "armscye" is the preferred spelling.
Comment by Charlene on January 21, 2010 at 8:00pm
It is the arm h*** of a garment.
Comment by Judith Komenda on January 21, 2010 at 7:53pm
I'm pretty sure the armscye is the shaped "h***" that you attach the curved part of a sleeve to. Am I right?
Comment by Shirley on January 21, 2010 at 7:49pm
the armscye is the armhole, the fabric edge to which the sleeve is sewn
Comment by Sharon on January 21, 2010 at 7:47pm
like your armpit.
Comment by Janet Shipley Hawks on January 21, 2010 at 7:45pm
It's pronounced ARMSEYES and is where the sleeve fits into the bodice of the garment.
Comment by Sew4my3 on January 21, 2010 at 7:44pm
Well, I come from a Scottish/Irish family and my grandmother used this term often pronouncing it "Arms" "cye" (sye). She would often use the term when referring to the opening armhole.

© 2022   Created by Susan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service