Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

Sorta like a game show, only without the TV cameras, annoying hosts, pretty people...or prizes.

OK here's the term:


Now you guess what it is.
No Googling!

I just found this term today. Call me sheltered, but I was clueless. I was online, reading along, came across it & I thought -- "what on earth?" How do you even pronounce "armscyes"? My suspicion: a man came up with the term... *wink*

OK so you guys are smarter than me. Look at all those responses from people who already knew what amrscyes was! Mercy...I still think the name should be changed to something like, maybe "armhole" to remove all doubt. Maybe it's a french term. Either way, it's one of those things that made me go "hmmm" Thanks for playing along ladies!

Views: 114


You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Suzy Broussard on January 21, 2010 at 7:39pm
It is the part of a garment where the sleeve or sleeve facing are sewn.
Comment by L Hoogkamp on January 21, 2010 at 7:38pm
It is the arched portion of a sleeve that fits into the armhole of the bodice
Comment by Cathy on January 21, 2010 at 7:30pm
The measurement of the armhole
Comment by Kathleen on January 21, 2010 at 7:23pm
The opening where you sew in a sleeve. :)

This comes from teaching tailoring.
Comment by Jeanne Green on January 21, 2010 at 7:20pm
Well Webster doesn't have it listed so my guess is it is a new generation made-up word. Maybe you need to sotp sewing and exercise your arms to relieve tension in your shoulders. :>)
Comment by Rita Long on January 21, 2010 at 7:19pm
I have no idea either. I'm going to have to google it.

© 2022   Created by Susan.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service