I know, shopping trolleys were just for old ladies when I was young, but when it snowed really badly I left the truck at home and walked to the shops for our groceries. I bought this trolley then and it carried loads of stuff and spared my bad shoulder, and of course it's 'green' and eco-friendly, but oh so dull and boring!
Now I can tick another item off on my PhD in Sewing! I've made it a bright and breezy new bag. I used an oilcloth by Fryetts called 'Maritime' in blue. I studied the bag and worked out the pattern from that. I cut it out a while ago, and unfortunately did NOT fussy cut it, so it will always bug me that the lighthouse is not central on the flap!
While I am making confessions, I used a water soluble marker to draw the pattern pieces on the back. Afterwards I sprayed it with water to remove the marks, and put it away - unfortunately without checking it was dry - so it has mold marks now, and some strange rusty red blobs. I tried all my stain removers, nothing worked, so my other-half said I should just go with the "shabby chic" look!
Here's the back view, showing the zipped pocket that is also the slot the handle fits through, and the strap that holds it in place.
This shows the red nylon I used as a lining and the casing for the drawstring. I had intended to line the whole bag, but that idea got lost somewhere in the process! I used some navy cord and a silver cord stopper I got from u-handbag for the drawstring.
I added the bag bottom, covered in red nylon. It's a piece of Melamine the other-half found and cut for me.
The real advantage of this new bag is that I can actually see what is inside the bag, whereas the black one was literally a 'black h***'. I usually ended up having to pull everything out to find what I was looking for.
Here are the flap and strip, lined, assembled and top-stitched, with the Velcro strip in place.
I don't like gussets so I did a boxy end instead. No seam neatening needed for oilcloth or nylon.
I used my trusty non-stick Teflon foot (Janome call theirs an Ultra-Glide foot) and put Scotch Magic Tape over the plate too for when I sewed it sticky side down. I fitted a new Leather needle (also good for artificial leather and heavy non-woven synthetics) and set a longer stitch length (3 on my Janome).
When I fitted the zipper, I used Prym Wonder Tape to stick the sides down then held the zip in place to stitch it.
I used paper clips to hold pieces together as pins would make holes. You have to twist them sideways to get them off rather than pull them, but they do the job.
Anyway I'm pleased with the result! I may go back to it in the future and make the lining after all (with pockets) but in the meantime I can use it as it is - after all I am an old lady now!