It's MIL's birthday at the end of this month, and when I asked what she would like, she said one of my aprons. When I said what do you want on it she surprised me by saying a Teddy!
I have done a Teddy for my kid size aprons, but I decided rather than scale it up to an adult size pocket I would do a new design for her. This one was a little basic and I wanted something better.
I broke my own recycling rule and went shopping for fabric. I found the perfect thing at my local Patchwork & Quilting shop "Sew Creative" http://sewcreativequilts.co.uk/ a lovely collection of Teddy Bears! It's called 1012 Bear Crowd, by The Henley Studio from Makower UK. I matched it up with a strong terracotta sheet in my stash to do the co-ordinating pocket, lining and straps.
I googled Teddy Bears but couldn't see anything appealing. Then I decided to use my own little Ted as a model! I sketched him out on a sheet of paper the same size as the finished pocket.
When I was happy with it, I went over it with a Sharpie, then turned it over. The image was clear enough for me to trace the component parts straight onto Bondaweb. I cut the pocket and lining out and applied iron-on woven interfacing to both, then cut out the Teddy.
I decided to use corduroy as a) it was the right colour and b) it would add a little texture and "fluff"! I found some bits of linen like curtain fabric for his pads etc.
I bonded the torso on, then stitched it with a zig-zag stitch, followed by the arms and then the legs. Following the sketch, I used the same zig-zag stitch to draw the line where the ears joined the head, and the shape of the feet. I left the other 'seam' lines off as they wouldn't work with the corduroy lines being straight. I added the muzzle, insides of the ears and the foot pads. Lastly the nose and eyes went on.
Then I spent ages debating over a ribbon for his neck. The problems were size and fraying and then colour and pattern. I nearly stole Ted's ribbon but in the end found this thin one in my stash and decided it would do nicely. I hand stitched it in place, leaving the ends of the loops loose.
With Teddy finished I made the pocket up. (I always do 3 stitches across each of the corners as I was taught to do for sharp collar points in dressmaking!)
I made an open ended strap for the neck as I was not adding a D ring this time, and the waist straps have one closed end and the other is left raw. All ready to assemble!
So here it is, I hope she likes it!