So all I had left to do was make and fit the turquoise lining. I applied fusible fleece interfacing and overlocked all the edges. I made the zipped pocket as per the pattern, but went back to my own template for a larger one than Ruby’s, and used the same lining fabric inside, not the exterior fabric as in the pattern.
I also added a divided slip pocket on the other side, to hold a notebook and pen. Like the extra outside pocket this was not in the original pattern, just something I decided to add. I’ve had this turquoise Ric Rac for years, so it was nice to finally find a use for it!
Then I stitched it all together and fitted the outer bag inside. At which stage I discovered my lining had mysteriously become too small. I’m not sure how it happened, but I quickly cut and interfaced a new wider gusset and tried again. This time it all went together well and I stitched the lining in. Once I turned it right side out all I had to do was a little top-stitching. As my choice of fabric and interfacing made it rather thick over the strap, and I didn’t want to top-stitch over the piping, I just top stitched the front and back.
As you can see, my lining is puffy and soft, and the piping is a good contrast to the lining. I’m pleased with my extra outside zipped pocket too. Sorry it’s so dark, but the sun hasn’t been out for a few days now, this was taken at 3.00 p.m. in the afternoon in my conservatory! I had to borrow the bedside lamp to brighten up the next one!
Mirabelle Messenger Bag Pattern from Zaaberry on Etsy
There was still a good sized remnant left so I made a 16” cushion cover for her bedroom, with a centre back Velcro closure.
Then I whipped up this zipped pencil case, following Lisa Lam’s tutorial for a ‘Top Edge Zip’ in “The Bag Makers Bible”.
I am rather pleased with how it turned out, despite bemoaning the waste made by fussy-cutting the fabric to get a van in the centre!
I used some navy Water Resistant nylon for the lining, so pen and pencil marks shouldn’t spoil it!
I like the way she adds a tab to the ends of the zip, it makes the ends nice and neat. The only other place I have seen this done was in the Triple Zip Pouch Tutorial by Debbie of A Quilter’s Table. She was challenged to retro engineer it from one bought as a gift for her in Hawaii!
So that's done, and in good time for Christmas as requested! Apparently the sun might shine tomorrow, in which case I will rush out and take more better photos to put in my album and on my Flickr page!
The Making of this Campervan Messenger Bag Saga!