Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

I thought I would finally share my last adventure of making bridesmaid dress for a dear friends daughter's wedding.

First and foremost the pattern I used for these dresses is from Burda Style pattern #7539.

The fabric chosen for these dresses is Dupioni Silk. The pattern called for using lace for the bodice inset. The colors of the dresses made it difficult to use the basic lace that is offered commercially. Although I could have hand dyed the lace to match each of the 5 dresses the Mother of the Bride and I decided against going with this process. She came across this fabric shown here that had the colors of each of the dresses.

Since the orginal look did not represent the lace affect the Bride wanted. I came up with the idea of pleating the fabric together that created the look in the second photo. This was used for the bodice inset and the ruffle accent a the hem of the dresses.

The constuction of the dress was basically easy. I have sewn Burda patterns before but I must say Burda and Burda Style are very different. For one Burda is the American version for pattern instruction.

Burda Style does not give you total step by step instruction. Not much visual instruction available either to fall back on. In addition be aware that pattern sizing is European sizing and American sizing is what is shown on the pattern cover. Bust, waist, hip, length measures are only show on the patterns.

This was my error working with this pattern. I had looked at the European sizing and assumed it was the bust measurements. Big oops on my part. I almost had a total melt down when I realized that the first dress was a size smaller than it should have been. Alas, I did not have to make a new one just a few adjustments. Thank the lord. I had even pressed the pattern pieces out to get familiar with the pieces and failed to notice the information in regards to body measurements. This is another quiet message that has been whispering in my ear for years. Make a muslin sample. Okay, okay I hear you already!!!!

With this in mind you will need to refer to the American measurements from other patterns. I am sure that the fabric store would not appreciate us opening up the paper patterns to find out the measurements. We all know how difficult it is to put all that back into the envelope the same way it came out. LOL

If one is not familiar with european patterns you mady not want to make this your first garment pattern to use or you may definitely want to make a muslin proto first to work out the bugs.

The final look.

Views: 160

Comment

You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Patricia McClain Osborne on August 8, 2010 at 11:48am
Thanks everyone. It was great fun to create these dresses. Especially when one can add a create twist to garments makes sewing more exciting.
Comment by Candi Roetman on August 6, 2010 at 5:25pm
These dresses are so cute! I love the brightcolors - unusual but so refreshing to see for bridesmaids!
Comment by Peg Baker on August 6, 2010 at 3:53pm
Patricia. These dresses are stunning! You are a pro, girl! Thank you for posting the details; I don't sew a lot of garment work, but when I do, it's good to know there's a resource out there like you with the experience. Bravo!
Peg
Comment by Kathy McMahon on August 6, 2010 at 3:06pm
Very beautiful, nice job done!

© 2020   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service