A few years ago I made a load of aprons for a stall at a Craft Fair. It wasn't well attended and I have been selling the aprons off in our gift shop ever since. Back in 2012 I changed the design I had on one from an elephant to a cockerel as it hadn't sold. It has gone to a new owner now, and there are only 5 left; 2 cupcakes, a sailboat...
and this teddy bear and watering can. I decided they were not good enough, so I am changing the pocket pictures.
Here is the completed applique. I use a zig-zag stitch on the raw edges. This red fabric was very loose weave from an old coat. Love the tread on the big tyre!
For the Teddy Bear apron I decided to do a Fire Engine. I had one already in 2 different sizes for my niece's 2 boys a couple of years ago, so I had the template already. I had included a driver in their aprons but opted to leave him out this time!
Here you can see my zig-zag stitching. I like to use some medium weight woven fusible interfacing on the back. This is Vilene G700 but I believe Pellon SF101 is similar. I always sew 2 or 3 stitches across the corners, like I was taught to do on shirt collars, as I believe they give a crisper corner. You can see the turning gap left at the bottom, which will be closed when I attach the pocket.
So here they are, after their makeover. I'm hoping they will be going to new homes soon!