Well I finished all the embroidery! It's not exactly the same as the book (surprise!). Where I started to run out of the right colour I used what I had instead, and in a couple of places I chose different colours or stitches on personal preference. As it was my first ever attempt at silk ribbon embroidery, I'm really pleased!
I love the spider web roses. Some of the stitches didn't work as well as I would like, so if they came up again I changed to a stitch I was happier with. It wasn't that I was unfamiliar with the stitches, but on some of them I wasn't happy with my work; I wasn't able to be as consistent as Jennifer. The Fly Stitch Leaf was one I wasn't happy with, so when I came across a double seam of them I substituted normal Fly Stitch.
I did love sewing the Delphiniums (which I did in blues instead of as illustrated). As I had never done any Silk Ribbon embroidery before I had to start from scratch, and buy all the colours and sizes I thought I would need.
I did this by going through every Seam Treatment picture and make up a shopping list. Then I ran out of a couple and had to order some more. Then when I ran out again, I started using the colours I had left, rather than buy yet more. These beaded flowers came out well, and happily I already had beads I could use!
As I couldn't get Tulle ribbon I bought Organza ribbon instead. It didn't work that well for me though, it was a little too sheer I think. I used it double and added some silk ribbon over the top. It's pretty, just not the same effect as the Tulle.
I had to go back and correct my earlier mistake of fusing the stabilizer to the raw edges instead of turned edges. I measured and marked the 1/2" seam allowance around the outside edge of the stabiliser using the template, then peeled it back and trimmed it off. I turned the raw edges over and hand basted them in place, ready to assemble. When I did it was a bit limp so I made a liner in By Annies Soft & Stable. I plan to insert it after I join the outer and lining.
Next I made the lining. I used this cotton twill left over from an apron as I liked the colour, and added the patchwork as per the instructions. Then I went a bit further than the instructions, adding a zipped pocket on one side.....
... and I used this ticking effect cotton to make a divided slip pocket on the other side (in case I need to carry my phone, pen etc.) I also boxed the lining base rather than leave it flat as per the book. I sewed the lining and outer together and turned it right sided out, then inserted my Soft & Stable liner and stitched up the gap in the lining.
The final step is adding the handles. The book pretty much leaves it to you how you do this. I finally decided on 3" by 1 1/2" tabs, using different fabrics on each side. Once they were turned right side out I topstitched around the edge, slotted them through the handles and sewed them in place by hand with Perle #8 thread.
The tabs are a bit smaller than the ones Jennifer used, as my embroidery went a little too high and I didn't want to cover it up. I picked out smaller buttons and put one on each side to help anchor it all. The bag stands up by itself now but the handles are a bit heavy and hang down.
Isn't she lovely, I'm really happy with the results, especially as it was all new to me.
Check out the book to see all the other projects: