My other half had a delivery a couple of weeks ago, and it came in this lovely big cardboard tub. He agreed I could have it for my sewing room, and I decided I should cover it to smarten it up.
I have this lovely cream and navy plaid curtain fabric I was given that I want to use. There was ridge round the lid, so I filled it with a couple of Soft & Stable offcuts to level it off and glued them in place. (I use Impex Original Hi-tack All-purpose Very Sticky Glue).
I measured then drew my circle for the cover 2" bigger than the lid, and overlocked the raw edges. I hand basted the edges and gathered it up to fit. It looked like a huge shower cap!
I cut a circle of Soft & Stable and glued it in place over the whole lid to pad it. The cover cannot be pulled to the inside or it won't fit, I have to fix it around the outside.
I used my trusty staple gun, tucking the overlocked hem under as I went. I used the pliers and hammer to flatten the staples where they stuck out on the inside so there were no sharp points.
I measured for the cover and added 1/2" seam allowances and hems, cut the cover for the tub and overlocked all the raw edges. I pinned it on WSO, marked and then stitched the side seam, then turned up the hems top and bottom.
I slipped it on and wiggled it down. The cover can't go right to the top as it has to fit over the raised bit that the lid sits on. I'm not fixing it in place unless it moves about too much, it is quite snug.
Having tried what I had in my stash I gave in and ordered this navy blue uphostery braid on e-bay.
I must admit I was sorely tempted by the idea of fitting a handle on top when I saw these on u-handbag. I really love them, but it doesn't come in navy blue which is a shame.
I applied the braid with Gutermann's HT2 Textile glue. It's worth the wait to let it get tacky as it is a really reliable glue! All done, and it looks really smart. Now I can fill it up with stuff!