I showed my mother-in-law my first Glenda, and she asked me to make her one, as a summer bag. I made the first bag so I could see how I got on with the pattern. In fact the pattern and instructions were fine. I know she liked the colours and fabrics I had used. So rather than make another Glenda I decided to make a few changes to make this bag "hers", namely;
and this is what I came up with..........
A new look for my first Glenda!
I unpicked my stitches, reached inside and carefully removed the magnetic catch. (This was not so bad as I had left my opening for turning on the top edge, not the bottom of the lining, and I had top-stitched it separately from the rest of the bag as I had trouble getting it right first time.)
I decided to fit this oversized 4 screw Mulberry Style twist lock I had bought by mistake (I didn't think to check the size!) from U-Handbag. I had never used one like this before. The twist part was easy as it was large enough to cover the previous slits. I cut the new slots and added more Fray-Stop, padded the area under and over the prongs with scraps of fusible fleece, then stitched it all back together again.
For the plate on the flap I very carefully cut and trimmed a slot and added Fray-Stop. I used my rotary punch to make perforations for the four screws, then finished off by adding a little fabric glue between the plates before screwing it all together. It worked really well.
Next I made the new 1" wide strap, using a strip of Vilene Decovil I cut two inches shorter than the finished handle so I could stitch the ends onto the flap easily. I fitted it about 1/2" in from the seam, so it was centred over the closed bag. I used dark blue thread on on the spool and pale blue in the bobbin and stitched a square, going over it twice. Just to be sure (and because I thought it would look good) I added a couple of rivets. They look a bit like officer's pips on epaulettes!
I unclipped the shoulder strap, cut a piece off and used it to make a key leash adding this blue patterned trigger hook, also fixed with rivets. Lastly I added a split ring to the zipper pull to make it is easier to get hold of.
I will look at buying something. A prettier pull like the pull above by Prym. Overall I'm pleased with my results making the Glenda bag. I hope my mother-in-law is too, as this revised Glenda will be her Christmas present!