I saw this free PDF sewing pattern for a Long Arm Oven Mitt by Deby of So Sew Easy here last September. I downloaded the pattern and bought a pack of Insul-Bright, then forgot all about it until I was browsing my pattern files for inspiration last week.
Here is everything cut out and ready to go. I am recycling some green sheeting for the lining, using up the fleece from my tiger-stripe dressing gown as wadding, and using a curtain remnant from my mother's stash for the exterior. It's a vintage fabric reminiscent of "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady", and this is the last piece I have left.
I don't do a lot of quilting, my last go was making a copy of vintage Christmas stocking. As I don't like pins much, I hand basted the layers together ready for quilting, and drew the grid on with my red chaco liner. I used my walking foot (even feed foot) and fitted a quilting needle.
I drew my grid from corner to corner to get a nice diamond shape. Here is the first piece half done. I lengthened the stitch length to 2.8 as it was quite bulky. I sew from the centre outwards, and now always sew in the same direction too, to make sure I don't distort it any.
However, for the second one I decided to try something new. When I watched the free Craftsy Course "Piece, Patch, Quilt: Basic Quiltmaking Skills" with Gail Kessler I learnt you can spray baste the layers, so I decided to do that this time. I also switched from my red chaco liner pen to my water soluble marker, as I had trouble getting the red chalk off once I'd sewn over it! The adhesive worked really well, and the result seemed to be a little more 'puffy' than the hand-basted version.
Once the mitt pattern pieces were cut out, Deby said to neaten the edges with an overlocker, zig-zag or overcast stitch. I didn't fancy my chances of not having an accident around the thumb curve with my overlocker blade, so I decided to dig out my overedge foot.
One came with my machine, but I have never used it as I generally use my overlocker, so this was another new experience for me! I kept the cream in the top spool and threaded the bobbin with dark green, and this was the result. Pretty neat huh!
Both halves with the edges neatened and the cuffs bound, the hanging loop basted in place (out of sight) and all ready to stitch together. I'm pleased with the way the quilting came out, the fabric looks much nicer than it did as a flat remnant!
I was a bit nervous about the seam, so I went over it twice. I had a bit of trouble seeing what I was doing at the bottom of the thumb. I was even more nervous of clipping into it! It was a real pig to turn right side out!
Well, it's come out just like the pattern as you can see, but the thumb is about an inch too long for me. In comparison to Deby's oven mitt, it looks like the seam needed to be more of a sharp point than the curve I have made. I do so love this fabric now, I'm pleased I finally found a good use for it, but I really need it to fit my hand better to be safe.
So I wrestled it back the wrong side out, put it on, traced around my hand, stitched on my drawn line, and cut off the excess. I neatened the new raw edges with the overlocker as close as I could get to the thumb joint and did the tight corner with a zig-zag stitch. Not as neat as the original job, but serviceable. I managed to sew to a point and pivot rather than curve the seam this time and clipped it carefully.
It turned right side out much easier this time! Here you can see the new, more fitted shape, and the bits I cut off to achieve it! I drafted myself a fresh new pattern piece from it, ready for next time, as I am really proud of this.
Here is the lineup - Deby's original pattern, my first version, and my trimmed down version. You can see I have got the angle better this time, and I have a slightly shorter thumb. I had to get it right, I wasn't going to waste the fabric or all that great quilting! The only problem is that I like looking at it so much I'm afraid to use it in case I stain it!
This is my personally tailored pattern piece, including my stitching line and the all-important pivot point, now neatly filed away with Deby's instructions. I think I might try this with some recycled denim next, and make a matching pair of oven mitts. Isn't it great to create!
Quick Quilted Gifts from Craftsy
Video: How to Sew Oven Gloves
Photo: Pink Petals Kitchen Couture
Photo: Strip Quilted Oven Mitt
Photo: Oven Mitt Pattern & Tutorial
Photo: TawnyK's Table Linens