Well my new overlocker needs a cover, so I decided to make a new one for the sewing machine too. Thought I'd do the sewing machine one first as technically it was a simpler shape. I then proceeded to make it complicated by using patchwork and machine embroidery and applique. As I have never learnt the correct way to do patchwork I had trouble with the presser foot making pleats in the fabric when I added machine embroidery. However, I enjoyed myself and I love the end result so that's all that matters. I made a flap so I can use the carry handle, the buttons are to weight it down to keep the dust out.
Going off to Lincolnshire tomorrow to take the original Riccar overlocker back to my cousin now I have my own. I am going to surprise her as she doesn't know I'm bringing it. I am hoping I can give her a better introductory course than she had 17 years ago when she bought it, so that she will actually use it now. I am going to lend her my copy of Georgie Melot's 'Ready, Set, Serge' as she offers a structured course, and I think it's a much better way to get going. I ran up the cosmetic bag and other glasses case to show her. I quilted the fabric for the cosmetic bag, and that worked okay. Thought the spex case would do well for my dad!
When I get back I have my overlocker cover to make, and I think I will have to try and do some decorative serging on that as well as patchwork and applique!
so you can see the cute strings of
hearts my machine did on the flap!