I fell in love with a pattern by Melly & Me called "Sherbert" (Now available as a PDF pattern on their new web site!) It is so pretty and allowed for mixing and matching several fabrics.
I couldn't resist, I bought it and cut out the pieces and started putting it together. Then I discovered the inside was the same as the outside - pleated and pretty but nowhere to store all my bits and pieces.
So I cut a new pattern piece to make an unpleated lining, and added divided slip pockets and a zipped pocket.
The finished bag
My sister said 'it is gorgeous but a tad small. fcould you make it bigger?' I did the maths and drew it up 50% bigger. Unfortunately I didn't realise how much bigger that would work out. I made it and it went from a small handbag to a large shoulder bag. Again, very pretty (in blues and pinks this time) but my sister said "It's a bit too big now, can you make one in-between?"
I went back to the drawing board, and this time I stuck it in a commercial photocopier and enlarged it by 25%. For this version I chose winter weight fabrics a mixture of wool tweed skirt, faux suede curtains and outgrown kids corduroy pinafore/jumper dress .
I added a flap with velcro to hold my mobile in place in the smaller slip pocket. I also add a D ring to clip my keys to. I turned it inside out to take these pictures so you can see the pockets, magnetic catch and D ring. The other side has the zipped pocket.
So there you go, third time lucky! My sister said this version was "just right" as Goldilocks said about Baby Bear's chair! I told her I was glad about that, but I was keeping it for myself after all that work!
So then I made this one for her!