Well I have been working on this quite a while (here) but I am finally happy to call my bag finished, and here it is -
1. To use ByAnnies Soft & Stable instead of interfacing so it would stand up by itself.
2. To make a bag from Lynette Anderson's book "It's quilting Cats & Dogs" because I liked the bag design and thought I could do my own version of the patchwork and embroidery decoration.
3. To use more of my mum's patchwork pieces and produce a bag for myself! This worked well as I said at the time.
When I realised I had cut off the flap that was supposed to be part of the back I never thought it would be so difficult to add an extension. I tried a patchwork extension but it didn't match up with the patchwork on the join with the bag, so off it came. The second time I cut the extension piece too narrow! Back to the drawing board.
When you made the gusset for Lynette's bag, you top-stitch 3 rows down the centre. So I took this idea and quilted a piece of denim which then worked as my extension - at last! I copied the 3 rows of central top-stitching on the handle strap too, and matched them up with the gusset.
ByAnnies Soft & Stable made the quilting easy as there is no need for backing fabric, it is stable, it stays flat and keeps it's shape.
I decided to line the flap and attach it to the bag, then line the bag rather than attempt joining the flap to the bag and then lining it in-one as per the book. Lynette also used a loop and button closure, but I knew I wouldn't use that (too fiddly) so I added a magnetic catch.
I also added a slip pocket to the lining using more patchwork pieces. The first fitting showed the lining was too baggy even though it was tightly stretched over the outer shell, so off it came for alteration.
Having restitched the lining smaller I thought I would have trouble pinning them together, but it worked ok. It was nerve racking pulling the lining through but it came out well this time. I finished off by top-stitching around the top edge.