Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

Remember getting my bag wrong? It's finally finished!

Well I have been working on this quite a while (here) but I am finally happy to call my bag finished, and here it is -

My problems were that I was trying to achieve several goals in one project -

1. To use ByAnnies Soft & Stable instead of interfacing so it would stand up by itself.

2. To make a bag from Lynette Anderson's book "It's quilting Cats & Dogs" because I liked the bag design and thought I could do my own version of the patchwork and embroidery decoration.

3. To use more of my mum's patchwork pieces and produce a bag for myself! This worked well as I said at the time.

When I realised I had cut off the flap that was supposed to be part of the back I never thought it would be so difficult to add an extension.  I tried a patchwork extension but it didn't match up with the patchwork on the join with the bag, so off it came. The second time I cut the extension piece too narrow! Back to the drawing board.

When you made the gusset for Lynette's bag, you top-stitch 3 rows down the centre.  So I took this idea and quilted a piece of denim which then worked as my extension - at last!  I copied the 3 rows of central top-stitching on the handle strap too, and matched them up with the gusset.  

ByAnnies Soft & Stable made the quilting easy as there is no need for backing fabric, it is stable, it stays flat and keeps it's shape.

I decided to line the flap and attach it to the bag, then line the bag rather than attempt joining the flap to the bag and then lining it in-one as per the book. Lynette also used a loop and button closure, but I knew I wouldn't use that (too fiddly) so I added a magnetic catch.

I also added a slip pocket to the lining using more patchwork pieces.  The first fitting showed the lining was too baggy even though it was tightly stretched over the outer shell, so off it came  for alteration.

Having restitched the lining smaller I thought I would have trouble pinning them together, but it worked ok.  It was nerve racking pulling the lining through but it came out well this time.  I finished off by top-stitching around the top edge.


My perseverance paid off!

 

 


 

Quilt-As-You-Go Patchwork Bags

 ChrisW Designs

Views: 12719

Comment

You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Lori on September 9, 2012 at 4:53pm

OK, what are the possibilities of you and me walking down the same street...I spot you with the bag...I grab it and run.

Probaly slim to nothing? That bag is beautiful.

Comment by Kathy on September 9, 2012 at 4:23pm
I love it!
Comment by Pam on September 9, 2012 at 4:00pm

What a great success story. Well worth all your efforts to get it right. Your bag is gorgeous.

Comment by Mary Lee Freutel on September 9, 2012 at 4:00pm

I'm glad you stuck to it, it's fabulous!

Comment by Marijayne Favata on September 9, 2012 at 3:06pm

The Bags Look Great. Sometimes our trial and error period is a Learning Experience

Comment by Susie Wallen Wyatt on September 9, 2012 at 2:56pm

Thank goodness somebody else has "oops" too.  Love the bag

Comment by Barbara Bateman on September 9, 2012 at 2:45pm

Love the finished project! It is nice to see others have 'trial and error' projects too!

Comment by Mary Lou on September 9, 2012 at 2:39pm

Just gorgeous!  I love the way it turned out.  Mary Lou

Comment by Jane Dent on September 9, 2012 at 2:31pm

its beautiful

Comment by arlene lain on September 9, 2012 at 2:28pm

those bags are adorable, thanks for shareing. arlene lain

© 2021   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service