I had not made a bag for a while and decided to get my sewing mojo back by making something new out of my stash. I chose the Sunrise Saddle Bag by Dog Under My Desk as I like the curvy shape and knew Erin's instructions are always clear and detailed.
I had recently realised that my not inconsiderable bag collection did not contain a single bag in black or even with black! With this in mind I went shopping for fabric and found this lovely batik in black with shades of white and brown.
For the lining I chose a fun bee print from my stash, (Timeless Treasures #FLEUR-C3465). To finish I chose antique brass hardware and a YKK 4.5 handbag zipper.
I block fused the interfacing for the first time, which I thought was a good idea. I chose to make the optional key leash, and everything went well until I was cutting the slits for the twist lock. My seam ripper was new and too sharp, slicing longer slits that I needed! I had to cut a new bag front and do it again, this time careful pushing the point of the seam ripper through both ends of the slit, and then slicing up to cut the exact length.
All seemingly proceeded well after that, until I added the flap to the exterior and flipped it over to try out the lock. Horrors! The lock was far to low to work. In shock I backtracked and found out where I had gone wrong. I had measured UP from the bottom like I had for the pockets instead of DOWN from the top! Disaster, all the seams were trimmed down now. It took a couple of days before I was calm enough to carefully unpick the bottom and the pockets and move the lock to what I hoped was the right place allowing for the seam allowance. Then I stitched it all up again.
However, the incorrect slits were exposed to wear, and I was not confident the Fray Check would stop them fraying once I was submitting it to normal use. My solution was to buy an oval "handmade" metal badge label from Emmaline Bags to fit over them. This meant a wait of two weeks, but once it came it slipped in place - once I had unpicked all my new stitching and then sealed it all up again!
Then I was free to carry on with construction, happily with no further mistakes on my part! As my Janome 6600 Pro sewing machine doesn't have a free arm I turned the bag inside out to do the top-stitching around the top of the bag once the lining was in place.
I like to hand stitch the opening in the lining closed, I don't like the effect when it is closed by machine stitching. I use a slip stitch and matching thread.
In no time at all my new bag was finished! The only change I made was to add a pen slot on one end of the lining slip pocket. I show the inside empty and full for scale. My sunglasses pouch and paper hankies fit in the pocket, along with the pen, my purse and wallet sit on the bottom with my keys on their leash. My mobile phone fits in the front slip pocket in its case. There is actually enough room to fit my iPad too but I was using it to take the pictures at the time!
Here is my beautiful new bag, the Sunrise Saddle Bag!