I have been admiring the many versions of The Lunar Collection by Chris W Designs for quite a while, and eventually decided to try the medium sized Half Moon version to see how I got on with it as it's a big bag and looked like a long sew.
The fabric I wanted to use is an Art Deco print on what may be cotton canvas. I could find no branding on the selvage. To contrast with it I chose a plain navy cotton duck, so neither or them were the suggested quilt weight cotton, my bad! I did choose a lightweight cotton lining fabric though, but that has no details either. To make allowances for the heavier weight fabric I skipped the fusible woven interfacing, and had to use 3 different sized rivets according to the thickness of the layers they had to go through. The only thing it really affected were the side pockets as it was a bit too thick and stiff to gather up well.
I couldn't get hold of a double pull handbag zipper so I went with a YKK #4 Handbag zipper which happily are readily available in the u.k. now, I used to have to get them from ZipperIsland in the States on Etsy. This was my first time using the Half Moon Magnetic Edge Clasp (emmalinebags.com) but as always it was simple to attach and looks very professional. I get my hardware and notion supplies from bobbingirl.co.uk
As with all Christine's patterns the instructions are very detailed and I had no trouble following them. In fact the only mistake I made was unpicking my basting stitches holding the side pocket pull cords and forgetting to re-attach them! This meant I got to the step where you attach the double cord locks and pull up the cords before I realised my mistake! I had to re-open the turning opening to access the seams, then carefully undo a few stitches and feed the cord ends through, attach them securely then stitch everything up again. I have hightlighted the instructions so I don't make that mistake again!
The only down side of the art deco fabric was that I simply could not get the top-stitching to look great, it seemed to be impossible to get a straight line or defined stitches even when I lengthened the stitch to four. I chickened out on the luggage sleeve and used cream cotton to make it less noticeable. On reflection I could have made the optional slip pocket instead as I don't do a lot of travelling any more, and I could have fussy cut the sleeve to match the main body better.
However the finished bag looks very smart and is surprisingly light for it's size (whilst empty anyway!) and I am very pleased with how well it turned out, well worth the time spent. In my case it took a little longer as I had to stop in the middle to do a load of alterations for my niece!
I can carry it on my shoulder with the handles, but I opted to make the adjustable strap for this as it is more comfortable. I made it in the art deco fabric rather that use more of the plain navy, and it looks good. I added the fleece to this as the fabric was thinner and floppy but left it out of the navy straps. They were quite thick enough without.
I did fussy cut the art deco fabric and I love how it looks like there is a tassel hanging from the magnetic clasp! As you can see it swings along well above the puddles if hand held. I am super pleased with my new bag, myself for making it and Christine for being such a great designer and instructor.