I've been making zippered bags!
It all started with making one with the scrap left from the Campervan Bag
Then I shared this one with you, when I was trying out my niece's embroidery stitches.
It has gone to her eldest daughter as it matches the recycled denim bag I gave her. She's my great niece, I'm a Great Aunt! That sounds soooo P.G Wodehouse.
So it was only fair I made one for her sister, who likes blues and turquoise and is into dolphins. So I made her this one. The only turquoise I had in my stash was this corduroy, and some tie-dyed fabric from a kaftan I had re-cycled.
I pieced the corduroy and used the tie-dye to make the dolphins. I think they look suitably 'watery'! Once again I used the "top edge zip" tutorial in Lisa Lam's "Bag Maker's Bible" to make the case. I will deliver it tomorrow.
I made this zippered pouch from the tutorial in Georgie Merlot's book "Ready, Set, Serge". The first time I tried to make it I didn't have the right foot for my old overlocker, but I managed to make it anyway. It had a lovely red lining that I forgot to photograph, and I gave it as a gift so I can't show you now.
This time I had the right foot on my new overlocker, but my zipper wasn't long enough. Sigh. In both cases I quilted the bag, and really like it! I made this one to co-ordinate with my Sewing Machine cover so I could store my new foot control in it, all cosy and padded.
I had to get a new foot control because the old one was carrying on stitching after I removed my foot - not good for accurate applique - so it had to go. The other half read me a lecture on how I wrapped the lead around it and should have been more careful folding it so as not to damage it! The new one has a retractable flex so I can't wrap it up the wrong way! Neat huh!
Lesson learnt, I carefully fold all my leads the way they were delivered now, including the one for my overlocker. It's a big lump with both cables and the foot control all connected. I was keeping it scrunched up in a drawstring bag, so I decided to give it a more spacious new home. I had downloaded this free tutorial a while ago, and decided now was the time to make it!
It is quite bit enough for my overlocker foot controls, and I fed a key ring onto the tab instead of a lobster clasp. It hangs nicely and opens wide enough to let me get the control in and out easily!
Here it is - I do get a kick out of making something that looks good and does a great job!
Now here is another zipped bag I really love the look of, and I am going to try making one, but it will have to wait it's turn. I only made one New Year's Resolution this year, to clear my work basket of U.F.O.s! So far I am on course, especially since I finished the new lining for my vintage faux leopard skin coat.
Next up will be the pink net petticoat that has been lying dormant for a couple of years! Unfortunately I will have to make it bigger now....
Allowing for this backpack I agreed to make for Campervan Girl (McCalls 6410), and the repairs I agreed to do to my friend's Dance School costumes, it won't be any time soon, but it will happen this year, and so will that curved top zipped pouch!