As I said, my sister liked the Josy I made and asked if I could make her one. She wanted me to use the rest of the black and white houndstooth skirt we recycled for her 25% bigger Sherbert Bag if there was enough left. There was.
One of the first problems was going to be cutting out the pattern pieces so that all the herringbone lines matched up on all of the seams. I only managed to match the flap and front pieces on my bag, this time I wanted them all matching up!
I found the easiest way to work out where to place the pattern pieces was to cut out the woven interfacing pieces, then use them as as the pattern pieces on the main fabric, as I could see through them. That worked well, and I fused them all together.
You can see the flap matches up to the back this time!
1. The first was about the magnetic snap on the front of the bag. "To allow for the extra thickness of wool and extra interfacing, the snap has to be as high as possible, do not fit snap until front pieces joined and top-stitched OR use zipper foot to sew seam past snap!" I always add a square of firm fusible interfacing to reinforce the area around the snap, and another over the snap to "soften" the hard edges.
2. The next was regarding adding firm sew-in interfacing as well as the fused woven interfacing. This larger bag needs the extra support, and the pleats dictate you have to use sew-in. So after making the pleats and joining the front pieces together, but before joining the front to the back, I attached the sew-in inside the seam allowance. This meant easing-in the fulness created by the pleats which made it a lot easier attaching the front to the back!
Standing up by itself!
3. I like to add fusible fleece to my lining pieces, because I like the squidgy effect! I add a zipped pocket too.
I like a squidgy lining, and a nice pop of colour!
4. When it came to the flap, I added the square of firm fusible interfacting and marked the position as low as possible, but did not fit the snap at this stage, just in case! Later on I pinned it all together and tried the position, which was perfect, so I fitted it and covered it with another square of fusible interfacing.
This shows the colour of the lining better
5. I made the strap following the Tester Shelly's suggestion to add interfacing to the handle. I made co-ordinating black corduroy loops (tabs) for both ends - the pattern only uses a loop on one end - using 2 shiny silver rings. The handles were very thick to sew, and I may replace the stitches with a rivet, but only if my sister wants them changed.
You can see the line matches on the side seam too!
6. I also followed Tester Kristi's suggestion to turn the bag through a gap at the top of the bag, instead of the bottom of the lining. I slip-stitched the gap before top-stitching.
I finished it off with a self-covered button in black cord, hand-sewn on at the end. I'm pleased with the result, I hope my sister is!