Sew, What's New?

Curating sewing and quilting talent, techniques, and tutorials, since 1997.

Re-lining a Vintage Faux Leopard-skin Coat - Part Two

It's been a few months now, (last September) and I thought I would share my progress with sewing the lining for my vintage faux fur leopard skin coat.



I used the existing lining pieces as patterns, well pressed.  Despite all the slipperiness this wasn't too bad, even working out the darts.  I used the original flannel underlining pieces as patterns for the new underlining, but that did not work so well.  They really didn't match up well with the lining, and in the end I dumped them in my fabric stash and re-ordered more flannel.

It's bright red, and makes me feel warmer just looking at it.  This time I used the coat lining pieces as the pattern for the underlining, so they matched up.  I did find it a struggle trying to work with such a slippery fabric and keep the two lined up.  Also there was a lot of fraying going on.  



So after I put the darts in the tops of the sleeves and the front of the coat, I decided to try something different. I sprayed all the pieces with temporary adhesive, then overlocked them, joining the lining and underlining together and eliminating the fraying in one go.  I worried about it, especially if it was okay to press it with the adhesive in there, but it was fine.  Now I had perfectly matching pattern pieces and I could move onto jacket assembly.  


I chose a microtex needle and fitted my walking foot.  I'd like to point out I didn't know either of these things existed a year ago, and only bought the spray adhesive for the course I went on in November 2012.  You live and learn!



One of the curious features I found in this coat was that the sleeves were cut in two pieces, the main sleeve and an insert at the back.  I had to assume this was to give more fullness in the back for elbow movement.  The main sleeve piece was cut normally, but the inset was cut longer, with a bends towards the centre.  After I struggled with my first failed attempt, I decided to use a row of gathering stitches to help the ease.  Once it was pinned, tacked and sewn it fit well, and here they are pressed and ready.



It worked well, much to my relief. I didn't think the slippery lining would ease in so well without puckering or pleating badly!



Here you can see I have attached the fronts to the back at the shoulders.  Then I paused for thought.  I have never made a coat, but I have set sleeves before, and I know I could either a) stitch the side seams on the coat and set the complete sleeve in, or b) attach the open sleeve to the coat then stitch the sides and the sleeve in one seam.  I decided on b) as I felt it would be easier to handle.




Here the sleeve top dart is matched the shoulder seam, and everything came together.  I have been pinning and basting everything, as I hate working with pins, and have no need to "rush".



I did one long seam for the sides and sleeve, and now the new lining is ready to attach to the coat!   Here it is sitting on top of the reversed coat.  Shiny isn't it.  Feels nice too.  The sleeves look baggy, but they need to be tucked in under the cuffs.  I'm so glad I treated myself to a dressmaker's dummy for this.  The other half found this vintage dress-form one on e-bay without a stand.  He said it was better quality as it has all metal fittings, and made me a stand.  Isn't he lovely!  He's taking an interest as he bought me the coat!


So next I start fitting the lining to the coat.   


To be continued.....

Long Term Project

Long Term Project - Part 1

Finished the new lining for my vintage faux leopardskin coat


Jacket Fitting Techniques

Views: 444


You need to be a member of Sew, What's New? to add comments!

Join Sew, What's New?

Comment by Susan on January 16, 2014 at 2:07pm
I dont have the patience for slippery lining but you pulled this off beautifully.
Comment by Karen on January 16, 2014 at 2:04pm

Call me stupid (I just have) but it never occurred to me to go on-line looking for help re-lining a coat.  I just have, and wish I had done it sooner!  If you ever want to attempt this, here is where you need to go!

How to replace a coat lining shows that I had the right idea, and was doing okay until it came to putting the new lining in.  Now I know how to do it properly!  Three cheers for the internet!

I also found a useful tip on Grainline's Tutorial How to bag a jacket lining about linking the sleeve lining to the sleeve with a thread chain which I will use.

Got a whole weekend ahead to crack on - I may be able to wear it next week!

© 2022   Created by Sara.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service